History of the Brettsteinalm Alpine Hut and its transformation into the 4 Star Superior Hotel Schneider
In 1079 the Hintergottschallgut (the farm in Radstadt belonging to our hotel) was documented in the Urbar-Registar of the St. Peter’s Mission in Salzburg as an independent farm. In the 17th century, natural catastrohpes, the 30 year war and a dramatic increase in population caused famine in the Alpine regions. Farmers were forced to head for higher ground and the first alpine pastures on the Radstadt Tauern were inhabited.
In 1651 the Brettsteinalm came into the possession of the Hintergottschallgut. From this year on until today mother cows and their calves have spent the summer months up on the alpine pasture. Alpine meadows were created by cut and burn agriculture and an alpine hut with cow shed was built. Up until the end of the 19th century the alpine pastures were purely used for hunting and agricultural purposes in summer. At the turn of century the first skiers and ski tourers appeared on the Tauern and the alpine hut was also used in winter.
1912 – 1934 the Brettsteinalm Hut was rented out to a Czech Alpine Club during the winter months.
1934 – 1945 the Alpine Hut was rented to a variety of Winter Sports Clubs.
In 1945 after the end of the second World War the Brettsteinhütte was used in winter for winter sports by an American Commander in Chief of the occupying forces in Salzburg for himself and his family as well as high-ranking officers’ families.
Rosina Schneider as dairywoman at the Brettsteinalm Hut.
In 1949 the hut was rented out to civilian winter sportsmen
In 1954 the wedding of Rosina Laubichler and Jakob Schneider took place.
In 1955 their daughter Roswitha was born, in 1956 their daughter Johanna and in 1961 their son Jakob.
In 1967 the Brettsteinalm was rebuilt by Jakob and Rosina Schneider with 11 rooms, a new recreation room, a kitchen, a small apartment plus a barn for the cows. From this point on guests were offered half board.
In 1974 the first extension took place. Now there were 17 guest bedrooms and a small sauna. The name was changed from “Pension Brettsteinalm” to “Pension Schneider” From this point the house was carefully managed by daughter Roswitha.
In 1981 the farm was seperated from the Pension Schneider. The alpine cowshed with new alpine hut was newly built around the top station of the Kirchbühel lift. The old cowshed was transformed into a new apartment and storerooms.
In 1984 son Jakob finished his education at the Tourism School in Klessheim and managed the Pension Schneider together with his sister Roswitha.
In 1985 another extension was built. The “Pension Schneider“ became “Hotel Pension Schneider“ *** with 26 rooms and 3 apartments.
Sister Roswitha, together with her husband Josef Storch, built the Bed & Breakfast Pension “Landhaus Panorama“ on family land.
In 1988 the wedding of Jakob and Maria Schneider took place.
In 1989 Jakob Schneider senior died at the age of 69 years.
In 1990 daughter Lisa Maria was born.
In 1992 daughter Andrea Teresa was born.
In the same year building and renovation work took place in the hotel. 9 new “Romantic Rooms“ were constructed as well as a small spa area with sauna, steam room, solarium and relaxation room.
In 1993 our hotel was awared 4 stars by the Chamber of Commerce.
In 1996 our happy family was made complete with birth of son Jakob.
In the same year an underground car park was constructed with parking for 50 cars, which is directly connected to the hotel.
In 1997 the après-ski bar “DER TURM“ was built over the entrance to the underground park.
In 2002 the neighbouring “Haus Isabella“ was purchased and converted into a staff house.
2003 saw the start of the hotel’s largest building project to date. Structural work was completed on the “Residenz Schneider“.
In 2004 luxury moves in, a new entrance area with spacious lobby, library, day bar with fireplace, new bedrooms, a 750 m² Spa with swimming pool, whirlpool, a variety of saunas, steam baths, relaxation rooms, massage and cosmetic treatment room, 30 new rooms and suites, a wine cellar plus 27 further underground parking spaces were created. A biomass heating power plant was also constructed on the initiative of Jakob Schneider, which now serves 90 % of all businesses in Obertauern.
In 2005 the Achenrainhütte was purchased. This was built in 1929 by the Baron Erich von Lichtenthurn family as a private hunting lodge and is located in the heart of our Brettstein alpine pasture. In 1958 the first Gamsleiten ski lift was built. From this point the lodge was used as a ski hut. The Achenrainhütte can be described as the oldest and maybe the smallest ski hut in Austria. Over the years sublte changes have been made. The original character has been preserved. The Achenrainhütte is leased to our former employee Mr Herwig Fleissner.
In 2008 the staff house was renovated. 24 new single and double rooms were created offering modern bathrooms, small kitchenettes with fridge, microwave and 2-hob cookers. The house also has a lift and laundry facilites plus its own car park with 25 parking spaces. Our business was presented with the award “Best for People” which is awarded to businesses offering good conditions for their staff, such as regular working hours, accommodation, wages, training and social competence.
In 2009 the main house was renovated and modernised and shines in new splendour. All rooms and suites were furnished with local swiss pine and new bathrooms were installed. A part of the restaurant was also renovated, a smokers’ lounge, large refrigeration rooms, storerooms, a delivery garage with refuse bins and a modern in-house laundry were constructed.
In 2010 our hotel was categorised as a four star Superior hotel by the Chamber of Commerce.
In 2011 we were awarded TOP-HOTEL by Holidaycheck, the largest hotel review site.
2012 acquisition of the “Winterstützpunkt” building. It used to be a garge for the winter service that is responsible for the snow clearance of the street between Mauterndorf and Untertauern. It is now used as staff accommodation and the ground floor is rented out to our partner Intersport Frühstückl.
In 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 we received the honourable Lily award from Relaxguide for excellent services.
In 2013 we received the Holidaycheck-AWARD as favourite winter sports hotel in Austria and one of the top favourite hotels in the world.
In 2014 some of the staff rooms at Stützpunkt were renovated and we received the “Travellers Choice 2014” on Tripadvisor
In 2015 Holiday Check AWARD for one of the best hotels of the world and we received the “Travellers Choice” of Tripadvisor – we are one of the TOP 25 luxury hotels in Austria
In 2016 “Travellers Choice” of Tripadvisor – we are one of the TOP 25 family hotels in Austria
In 2017, 2018 und 2019 we were awarded with the HolidayCheck Award – we are very proud of the positive feedback of our guests.
2019 Our kitchen and patisserie were enlarged and a new team dining room was built.