Your carefree holiday at the Hotel Schneider
Menu
book and request

The Hotel Schneider History

Schneider Gamsleiten Obertauern Schneider Gamsleiten Obertauern Schneider Gamsleiten Obertauern
1651

In 1651 the Brettsteinalm came into the possession of the Hintergottschallgut. From this year on until today mother cows and their calves have spent the summer months up on the alpine pasture. Alpine meadows were created by cut and burn agriculture and an alpine hut with cow shed was built. Up until the end of the 19th century the alpine pastures were purely used for hunting and agricultural purposes in summer. At the turn of century the first skiers and ski tourers appeared on the Tauern and the alpine hut was also used in winter.

1967

In 1967 Jakob and Rosina Schneider asked themselves what it would be like to build a small guesthouse, it’s location would be next to the old Brettsteinalm hut at the foot of the Gamsleiten. Let’s just say: That was the beginning of the Hotel Schneider story: 11 rooms, a new guest room, a kitchen, a small flat and a stable for the cows were built. From then on, half board was offered to guests.

1974

In 1974 the first extension took place. Now there were 17 guest bedrooms and a small sauna. The name was changed from “Pension Brettsteinalm” to “Pension Schneider” From this point the house was carefully managed by daughter Roswitha.

1981 – 1985

In 1981, the agricultural part was separated from the Schneider guesthouse. The alpine stable with a new alpine hut was newly built in the area of the Kirchbühell lift top station and is still located there today.

In 1985, a further extension was built. Out of “Guesthouse Schneider” the 3-star Hotel Guesthouse Schneider was created with 26 rooms and 3 holiday apartments.

1992

In that year building and renovation work took place in the hotel. 9 new “Romantic Rooms“ were constructed as well as a small spa area with sauna, steam room, solarium and relaxation room.

1993 – 2003

1993 Our hotel was awarded 4 stars by the Chamber of Commerce.

1996 In this year, the underground car park (50 parking spaces) was built, which is directly connected to the hotel.

In 1997 the après-ski bar “DER TURM“ was built over the entrance to the underground park.

In 2002 the neighbouring “Haus Isabella“ was purchased and converted into a staff house.

2003 saw the start of the hotel’s largest building project to date. Structural work was completed on the “Residenz Schneider“.

2004

A new entrance area with a spacious lobby, library, day bar with fireplace, new guest rooms, a 750 m² wellness area with indoor pool, whirlpool, various saunas, steam baths, relaxation rooms, massage and beauty rooms, a fitness room, 30 new rooms and suites, a wine cellar and 27 additional underground parking spaces were built. Furthermore, on the initiative of Jakob Schneider, the biomass heating plant was built, which now supplies 90% of all businesses in Obertauern.

2005

Purchase of the Achenrainhütte hut. This was built in 1929 as a hunting lodge and is located in the middle of our Brettsteinalpe. In 1958 the first Gamsleiten lift was built. From then on it was used as a ski hut. The Achenrainhütte hut can be described as the oldest and perhaps also the smallest ski hut in Austria. Only careful changes have been made to the hut over the decades. The original condition has remained so as not to lose the quaintness of the hut. The Achenrainhütte hut is currently leased out.

2008

In 2008 the staff house was renovated. 24 new single and double rooms were created offering modern bathrooms, small kitchenettes with fridge, microwave and 2-hob cookers. The house also has a lift and laundry facilities plus its own car park with 25 parking spaces. Our hotel was awarded the “Best for People” award, which is awarded to businesses offering good conditions for their staff, such as regular working hours, accommodation, wages, training and social competence.

2009

In 2009 the main house was renovated and modernised and shines in new splendor. All rooms and suites were furnished with local swiss pine and new bathrooms were installed. A part of the restaurant was also renovated, a smokers’ lounge, large refrigeration rooms, storerooms, a delivery garage with refuse bins and a modern in-house laundry were constructed.

2010 – 2020

2010 Our hotel was categorised as a four star Superior hotel by the Chamber of Commerce.

2012 Acquisition of the “Winterstützpunkt” building. It used to be a garage for the winter service that is responsible for the snow clearance of the street between Mauterndorf and Untertauern. It is now used as one of our staff houses and the ground floor is rented out to our partner Intersport Frühstückl.

2014 Some of the staff rooms at Stützpunkt were renovated

2019 Our kitchen and patisserie were enlarged and a new team dining room was built.

2020 The underground car park was renovated and equipped with two e-charging stations. Charging is free of charge for our guests.

2021

Even though the time during the pandemic has not been easy for us, we have looked positively to the future and thought a lot about what we can still do to improve our Hotel Schneider, so that it continues to be the most beautiful time of the year for our guests when they come to stay with us. Thus, we have given all our junior suites, feel-good rooms and penthouse suites a facelift. The residence suites, called “Suite Freedom”, have been redesigned and shine in their new splendor.

We say thank you!

When we reflect on our long history, we are pleased with the excellent development of our hotel. We would like to thank all the people who have helped shape this story and hope for more successful years to come. We would like to thank our many regular guests for the trust they have placed in us. We will endeavour to always let Hotel Schneider shine in the light of time, so that you can continue to enjoy your best time of the year here with us.