A winter holiday in Obertauern in the Province of Salzburg
Holiday up high – for non-skiers too
Sparkling fresh snow, blue skies and the feeling of freedom enchant not just downhill skiers, but also lovers of snow in the mountains. Recharge your batteries. The fresh, clean air whilst undertaking sporting activities outdoors has a revitalizing effect on body, mind and soul. So its no surprise that the wide range of alternative sports in Obertauren are popular with guests.
Skiing under starry skies
Which winter sportsman hasn’t dreamed of that?
Every Monday and Thursday from 7.00 – 10.00 pm on the Edelweiss 4-seater chairlift. The approx. 1,500 m long run on the Edelweiss slope is floodlit. All lift passes valid for more than 1.5 days are also valid for night skiing. The piste is almost as bright as in daylight yet the atmosphere is very different in the evening. A highlight for adults and children alike.
Adventurous off-piste skiing
There are plenty of deep-snow slopes away from the prepared pistes in Obertauern. Twice a week our ski guide leads you down descents, that only insiders know about. Powder snow, virgin slopes and the freedom of the mountains. A unique experience on deep-snowy mountain slopes.
Pleasurable cross country skiing
The healthy endurance sport of cross country skiing in Obertauern is ideal for beginners and experts alike. There are a variety of well-groomed trails in all levels of difficulty to choose from.
- Hundsfeld Trail – Length: 6 km. Access to this sunny trail is by the Sports Centre. The lovliest part of this trail runs through the nature reserve of the Hundsfeld moor and ends in a speedy descent heading back to the Sports Centre. Additional access point to the Hundsfeld Trail is right near the Kiteplatz.
- World Cup Trail – Length: 10 km. Access to this promising, 10 km long and medium-difficulty trail is next to Dr. Aufmesser’s surgery.
- Gnadenalm Trail – Länge: 15 km. Access is approx. 4 km away from Obertauern (towards Radstadt)
- Twenger Au Trail – Length: 23 km. This trail connects the resorts of Tweng and Mauterndorf. Access point is the resort centre of Tweng (approx. 5 km away from Obertauern)
- Taurach Trail – Length: 13 km. This trail connects the resorts of Untertauern and Radstadt. Access point is in Untertauern (approx. 10 km from Obertauern)
Gnadenalm toboggan run – sledging is pure winter fun for the whole family or as a group. The toboggan run is 1.5 m long and floodlit every evening. The starting point and finishing line are right next to the Gnadenalm (4 km away from Obertauern). Skidoo toboggan taxi – head up the mountain on a motorized sledge. Toboggans for hire at the Gnadenalm.
Impressive ski tours
A ski tour through the majestic Tauern mountains counts amongst one of the most beautiful mountain experiences in alpine terrain. The ascent boasts a spectacular view of the winter landscape. Only the coming descent over virgin snowy slopes can beat this feeling. Our ski instructor is on hand for advice.
Daring ice climbing
The fascination of ice will thrill the enthusiastic mountaineer. Head upwards on the powerfall Johannes waterfall. The sparkling of the ice, the freezing cold and never-ending ice makes this adventure something special. Minimum number of participants 3 persons – further details from reception.
Cool Snowpark “The SPOT”
A special meeting-place for the freestyle scene is the 4-seater Kehrkopf chairlift, where all those looking for great jumps and slide elements will find an attractive fun park. The Snowpark Obertauern makes the hearts of freestylers beat faster. There’s something for everyone.
Freeriding, skiing on open terrain, goes back to the origins of skiing, when there were no prepared pistes, just snowy mountains. It was a great challenge for skiers to find the perfect route down. Nowadays it’s trendy to ski off piste. Physical condition, ability and knowledge of the local conditions are important pre-requisites. At the Freeride College you can learn the basics for skiing on open terrain:
- Tour planning
- Correct behaviour on descent
- Introduction to snow and avalanche awareness
- Use of transceiver equipment
Take off on the piste on skis or snowboard and glide up to 50 m. A “must” for all those, who love a special buzz. Cruise gently over powder snow or along the piste with the help of wind power and a large stunt kite. Anyone can learn how. Obertauern was venue for the Snowkite World Championships.
Break limits, feel the speed and get your adrenalin going on an airboard with your helmet first and your face on the floor. Thanks to the dynamic form of this fun sport equipment you can whizz down a toboggan run or free terrain. Minimum number of 4 particparts. Further details available from reception.
Lifts for non-skiers
You can still enjoy fabulous views of the snowy peaks of the Obertauern mountains even without skis.
The following lifts transport non-skiers too:
- Grünwaldkopf lift (a combination of 10-seater cable cars and 8-seater chairlifts)
- Zehnerkar lift (8-seater cable car)
NEW in Obertauern at skischool CSA! Experience a sense of freedom! Due to balance and wight shift you will control the segway. After a professional training and a few trips on secure terrain, we explore nature while driving over snow and ice. Explore the upper valleys on the sporty Segways. A real highlight for all participants from 12 years!